March 9, 2011

Church, Sin and Oysters

Had a fun and exciting day today.  I went into work kind of late (before 8, though) because I was unable to get up as early as I'd like this morning due to late workout last night keeping me up past my bedtime.  Apparently, there was pizza today at work, which was something of a chore to not eat, but made easier by its meaty goodness adding a level of ACTUAL sin to the whole affair.

I found out in the late morning that I'd be attending a class for entry into confined spaces on aircraft until 5:30 this afternoon, so I deemed my day a success, as I would actually have to flex some time if I didn't take a long lunch (I didn't take a long lunch).  Unfortunately, class ran long, and I ended up leaving a few minutes before the end to get to mass at 6....25.  You see, apparently, a cathedral in a downtown area with limited parking spaces fills up on those big Catholic Guilt days, and I'm a bad Catholic, so I didn't know the best places to wander to find a spot.

I only ended up parking about 2 blocks away, but the exercise was kind of annoying, made more so by the fact that I'm still learning where the ass of my new shiny is, because I've only parallel parked it about never so far.  Nevertheless, I got there just in time for ashes, so I just missed the boring parts where they talk about Jesus and various other important religious figures, and got straight to the chanting and Communion.

I like my Mass traditional, so I think I'm going to get along with this place.  I don't hold with all this group singalong crap that we do these days.  If I wanted that, I'd be a protestant.  No, I'd go for latin mass if I thought I could stand it, but a nice severe service with only high choral music and no attempt at pretending we're Baptists is where it's really at.

After Mass, I decided it was time to head home for the traditional seafood dinner.  I ordered some clam strips, fried flounder, and "buffalo oysters" for dinner, with the vegetable of the day instead of fries.  My personal tradition used to be a (two) Mcdonald's Fish sandwich(es) with many fries, but I stopped myself short of that.  I'm not going to work out tonight, because I don't want to get all amped up and not get to sleep until midnight, again.

G'night, Fatheads

No comments:

Post a Comment