February 26, 2011

I Can't Recommend This Article

I had a fairly fun-filled and exciting Friday evening last night, as some of you may know.  I hit the bars/clubs downtown and consumed spirits and other adult beverages with friends of ill repute from my college days, as well as a few of my coworkers.

Weight:     298.2 lbs
Body Fat: 40.9%
Water:      45.3%


I did have a few beers and a rather starchy/fatty dinner (steak frites) so I expect that the "weight loss" over yesterday is purely dehydration.

Tonight: drinking and board games with nerds.  Think I'll take it a bit easy on the booze (I like to lie to myself) tonight, since I had so much fun last night.  I've only got another week up here, then I can get back home to my proper diet foods and all that goodness.




So, here is where music goes, but I was going to grab a later lyric from the song and started to type the first lyric into Google to get the full set of lyrics to make sure I wasn't fucking it up.  As I typed the words in, I got the following screencap.  Now, that is a book with a sassy-looking woman on the cover, and therefore only something I would read if it were a free Kindle book.  Man, this is definitely one of those things I can't write about without it turning sexist real quick.  She's so hot she's making me sexist... bitch.





And that's how I went from posting Jay-Z to Flight of the Conchords.  Cool story, right bro?


On another tangential note: I don't do libraries.  I read a ton of books, and I like free things, but I don't do libraries.  Readers can be divided into two groups (ok, readers can be divided in many ways, but each of those many sub-groups can be further divided into these two groups, so roll with it you contentious ass): those who love libraries and library books and those who need to own a book.  There's a thousand different reasons we non-libary people can come up with to justify this position, but it all boils down to a simple thing:


Whether it be paperback, hardcover or e-book, we like buying and owning books.  I could tell you that it's about supporting the people who write what I like, which is true, but I also sometimes buy books I know I'm going to hate.


My default reaction of hate and vengeance would seem to dictate that I would either pirate these books or go to the library to read them to deny the author my sweet sweet cash, but I buy them.  Maybe it's more of a compulsion than anything, but it's a relatively inexpensive one in terms of buying books that are terrible.


On the other hand, and this is me, not non-library people in general, I absolutely hate receiving books as gifts.  I don't think I've ever read a book I didn't pick up off the shelf in a store or select on the internet and determined that I wanted to read outside of academia.  Even if it's a book that I may be interested in and that I might enjoy, I never read them.  They have a particular place on my bookshelf, and when it gets too full, I start tossing books.


Related somewhat to this is the fact that I throw out all self help/improvement books I'm given.  OF ANY KIND.  For a long time, I kept them on that shelf out of guilt about getting rid of gifts, but a few years ago, I realized that it was pointless.  I'm fairly certain everyone I know now knows this about me, because I haven't received any in awhile, and I feel a little bit bad about some of the hurt feelings, but mo sociopathy keeps me warm at night.


I've never felt that real character or skill growth can happen in a controlled manner, for me, at least, it always has to come organically.  A (well-written) piece of fiction about a character with traits that you think you would like to emulate is a much better way to learn to be self-confident than reading a book about how you should accept you as a person because you and EVERYONE DESERVES A NEW CAR BECAUSE THEY ARE AWESOME AND HATERS GONNA HATE BUT EVERYONE IS BEAUTIFUL AND SPECIAL AND WONDERFUL AND I'M FAT AGAIN AN...


Ahem, tangent.  Really, mind-fucking your way to success is what it's all about.  Read many books about protagonists with traits that you'd like to see in yourself, and you may start to see them.  I have a bad habit of picking up dialogue from certain characters in books I read, which can get a bit strange, especially if I'm on a British author kick.  Especially a British author that loves to deliberately butcher both English and Latin phrases to make a funny.  DAMN YOU PRATCHETT!


I think I'm just going to cut myself off here, because I'm about six steps beyond rambling and when I start to get angry about talk-show hosts and satire authors, that's when I know it's time to stop blogging and start drinking.


Have a pleasant weekend, Fatheads.

No comments:

Post a Comment