March 29, 2010

Breakfast

Woke up in the middle of the night last night and forgot to set my alarm, so I woke up JUST in time for breakfast this morning.

I had not previously tried Berries & Multigrain Flakes, but it's about what you'd expect. Cereal with dried bits of fruit in it. I don't much care for dried fruit in my cereal (straight from the box) because of the way the various components start to take on a strange tang. That being said, it tastes about the same as a non-diet variant.

This brings us to one of my favorite boring topics, portion size. This is a standard cereal bowl. You will note that the cereal just about covers the bottom of the bowl. This is about a half cup of cereal. In the pitcher is a half cup of nonfat milk. These are standard serving sizes for cereal. Now, I don't know about you, but normally, if I were to eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, I'd fill the bowl and then splash milk on it. That bowl will hold roughly 2.5-3 cups of cereal, meaning 5-6 times what a person is supposed to eat.

I enjoyed one of my juice boxes (fruit) and an egg (protein) with a piece of multigrain toast (carbohydrate) for my sides.

I'm a big fan of runny eggs, the yolk (unfertilized chicken fetus) being the best part of the egg. For this reason, I rarely eat just egg whites, even though you get 3 of them.

One of the great things about the flexibility on the sides is that they can sometimes be combined into a dish. I've been doing this so far only in my salads with dinner, but, as I get bored with my options, I'll start to do it more often with my breakfast sides and I'll start to get more creative with the dinner sides, as well. One thing I've never made, but probably will soon, is multigrain french toast. We'll see, I feel creativity preparing to burst forth from either my hands or my colon, it's hard to tell.

In case anyone's wondering, I had my easiest experience with my former state's labor department's telephone system this morning. I think they've routed tax help separately from the standard system, which meant I didn't get dropped immediately upon entering my help choice, and instead was immediately helped and told I'd get my replacement form in 7-10 days. That's cutting it a bit close to tax day for me, but it could be worse.

I clearly got around to writing this late, but who cares? I'll inform on lunch for immunity from dinner, but only if snack walks, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment