March 30, 2010

Health Food, In MY French Toast?

It's more likely than you think.

This morning, I decided to try an experiment, and that experiment involved starting with one of my frozen foods, Golden French Toast. This is one of the ones that can be (and is best) prepared in either a toaster or a toaster oven. I don't have a toaster oven, so I use a toaster (not a great logical leap there).

The second part of the experiment involved an egg (protein) and a piece of multigrain bread (carbohydrate).

I made french toast using these ingredients, because I wanted to eat fresh french toast and compare it to the stuff from the package side-by-side. The only additional ingredients in my home-made french toast were Pam in the pan and a bit of cinnamon, at the urging of every single goddamned person I mentioned this idea to. The only difference was that one tried to get me to use Splenda, too. Yes, asshats, the cinnamon was a good call. As to Splenda, well, I don't put sugar in my normal french toast, so I wasn't about to throw fake sugar into the mix right away.

Having addressed all that, we can move on to how it fucking tasted: pretty fucking good. The Nutrisystem french toast is alright, a bit dry, and light on the "egg" or whatever they actually use to produce this food. My french toast tastes like... my french toast. I cook it the way I like it. Come to think of it, it's a ridiculous goddamned comparison. OF COURSE I like the french toast I make better. The fact that there was a little bit of egg left over so I got a mouthfull of scrambled doesn't hurt anything. Oh, I also had a juice box for my fruit.

Let me also say that if I were working, I doubt I'd be eating this. I generally skip breakfast, and frequently lunch, when I'm working, so the idea of making myself french toast in the morning is laughable. Most of the meals I'm eating on this diet, I could and would eat while working, but the trend would be towards more sides that don't require any cooking or prep work. I'd be more likely to buy bag lettuce than head lettuce (which is a shared commodity, thankfully), and it's doubtful that I would ever eat an egg in the morning. I'd be much more likely to have the 8oz of nonfat milk that is one of the alternatives.

Apparently, for an in-state move I can change my address and vehicle registration online, and thank god for that. Any chance to avoid dealing with bureaucrats in person is one that should be taking.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST iTUNES! Being unemployed is depressing enough, you've gotta throw Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (Naturally) at me before I've even properly built up a head of rage? Well, actually, that did it, and iTunes redeemed itself by bringing on the Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment