July 1, 2010

I LIVE!

So it's been a couple of eventful, diet free days, and I've got a quick recap for you.  I drove up through Tampa Bay from Ft. Myers, FL and into Georgia, where I stopped at a Comfort Inn near the Alabama border for the evening.  I then jogged west into Alabama and Mississippi on my way to Memphis, where I intended to visit Graceland.

Upon reaching Graceland, I realized a couple of things.  First, parking was 15 bucks, and there were probably going to be more charges once I got past parking.  The area is also a complete shithole, check cashing places and pawn shops everywhere.  I also realized I don't really like Elvis all that much.  His music's great and an important part of American musical history, but I can deal without the shag carpets and purple wallpaper.

So I decided to go to the Jack Daniel's Distillery, on the east side of Tennessee.  I stayed in a nearby KOA for the night, and went to the distillery in the morning.


The tour was awesome, and there were great shops in downtown Lynchburg, all of which had the same Jack merch and gave you a free shot glass with a 10 dollar purchase.  Needless to say, I spread my shopping across all the shops.  The picture above is a bronze of Jack with the cave spring that the water comes from in the background.  While at the distillery, I bought 2 commemorative bottles of black label and a bottle of single-barrel, all of which I had signed by the "Master Taster", who happened to be in the tour area signing bottles while I was there.

I then went to the New Albanian Bank St Brewhouse [www.newalbanian.com] at the request of one of the folks I'm visiting in Indianapolis, and picked up a few growlers of beer.  He wanted the Hoptimus, and I bought the Haggis Laddie for myself (I have a weakness for the reds).

Today, I'm going to visit the Creation Museum outside of Cincinnati and then move on to Indianapolis.  I hope not to be arrested.

I've tried to get weighed at a few of the places I've stayed, but there hasn't been a decent flat surface for the purpose, so I'm probably just going to not do it again until I reach home next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment