June 13, 2014

Into the Swing Of Things

Well, Fatheads, to any of you still with me, thank you for not unfollowing in the long absence.  All others may teach their Grandmothers to Suck Eggs.

I just wrapped up a squat challenge for last month along with some coworkers, with the addition that I did one-for-one calf raises for each squat. (Challenge can be seen here)

This month, with today being day one, I've challenged myself and a few others to complete a new challenge.  I'll work up a graphic later, but the essential is for four days in a row, I will do 250 or more squats/calf lifts, and on the fifth day I will rest my legs.

On days 2, 3 and 5 of each cycle, however, I will also do a set of dumbell exercises.  Starting with 50 sets on days 2 and 3, then 60 on days 5, 7 and 8, then 70 on days 10, 12, and 13, etc for 30 days.

The upper body sets will be dumbell curls, vertical press, tricep lift, side tricep lift, wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, and side lifts.  I'm starting with 15 lbs dumbells for everything but the side lifts, which are 10 lbs to start.  If I feel it isn't challenging enough, I will up the weight accordingly.

Yesterday, I woke up before work (on 1st shift, these days) and did 300 squats and calf lifts.  Today was my day off, so I spent all morning working in the garden (over 11000 steps according to the iPhone pedometer) and then did my 300 squats/calf lifts and 50 upper body sets with the dumbbells.

Feeling pretty good about things so far.  We also have an exercise/pedometer thing going on at work now that started last week, so that's why I'm bothering with a pedometer.

As for diet... for a couple of weeks I've been basically doing Atkins+fruit with many of my meals consisting of a protein shake in lieu of actual food.  I'm taking a multivitamin, a B12 complex, and vitamin E.  My calorie counts vary between around 700 and 2500 calories depending on activity level.  Before that, during last month's squat challenge, I was drinking beer during workouts and frequently hitting bars.  Now, I've cut out all but hard liquor, and for a week or two, that's out completely  (although I highly recommend a shot or two of vodka in a pre-workout protein shake if your stomach can take it).

If I perform a morning workout, I have a protein shake (around 120 calories whey protein) with fiber in it.  If it's after work, I'll usually save the fiber for my after-workout shake.  My recovery usually includes some fruit, a protein shake, and one or two eggs (usually hard boiled).

I'm not going to post weight-ins for a bit.  Right now, from around May 10th, I'm down about 25 lbs, and from the beginning of the squat challenge, month one, I am down about 4" on waist size.  Not telling someone I know reads this what my weight is is driving them nuts, so I'm not putting it on here.

Thanks for sticking around, Fatheads, this is the season of pain and change.



No comments:

Post a Comment